You can guard against falls by taking a few simple precautions:
- Do not polish under mats or rugs
- Make sure stairs and landings are well lit and that they are kept clear of toys and loose matting
- If you have small children put guards at the top of the stairs
- Wipe up any liquids spilt on floors immediately
- Repair or cover any holes in your carpets or linoleum to avoid tripping
- Make sure your stair carpets are securely fixed
- Do not store items at high level, particularly on top of cupboards. Use proper steps or ladders should you have to climb.