Apex Housing Association (Apex) provides sheltered housing for older people and for people who have had to retire early because of ill-health.
What is sheltered housing?
Our sheltered housing schemes aim to:
- Provide a safe and secure environment
- Promote people’s independence
- Provide high quality accommodation and support
To make sure we get all this right we look closely at each person’s individual needs and develop a support plan that is tailored to meet those needs.
What is support planning?
Support planning puts the tenant at the centre by:
- Outlining what services are available
- Getting the person involved in decisions about services they may need
- Fitting our services to the person’s needs for as long as they are a tenant with us
- Making sure each person enjoys a quality environment; maximum independence; the highest level of security; and the right type of support.
How support planning works
Support planning starts as soon as someone moves into one of our schemes. Just as importantly, it will continue for as long as they are with us. The process involves three stages:
Stage one: initial assessment
We will do this within two working days of someone moving in. The assessment will:
- Welcome the person to our sheltered scheme
- Introduce them to the scheme manager and the building
- Give them all the information about the scheme and how it works
- Outline the various services that are provided
- Find out what the person’s particular needs may be
- Answer any questions that may be asked
Stage two: support plan
The initial assessment provides us with the basic things we need to know about our new tenant and provides them with the basic things they need to know about us.
Within the next six weeks the scheme manager and the new tenant will jointly develop a support plan. That plan will identify the tenant’s needs and then match a series of services to those needs. We will build the support plan around a number of important areas:
- Living at the scheme
- The person’s daily living skills
- Mobility issues
Stage three: support plan review
Support planning is not something that is done once. It is something we keep re-visiting for as long as someone is with us. At least once a year we will update every tenant’s plan, making sure we take account of how things may have changed for them. If your circumstances change during the year, or if you wish us to review your support plan at any time, please contact your scheme manager.
If you have any questions about any aspect of our support planning process, please contact your scheme manager.