As a tenant of Apex Housing Association Ltd, you have a right to the following:
- The right of subject access, i.e. to find out what personal information is held about you on computer and on most paper records
- The right of rectification, blocking, erasure and destruction of information by application to the courts
- The right to prevent the processing in some cases, where the processing of the data is likely to cause substantial unwarranted damages and/or distress to you or anyone else
- The right to prevent processing for direct marketing purposes
- The right to compensation for damage and/or distress caused by any breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 as determined by the courts
- Rights in relation to automated decision-making
Personal data is information about a particular living individual. The Data Protection Act 2018 does include exemptions in respect of obligations and rights in certain circumstances. For example, an exemption may apply if Apex receives a subject access request for information that contains the personal data of more than one individual. We consider whether we can rely on an exemption on a case-by-case basis. Where appropriate, we carefully consider the extent to which the relevant GDPR requirements would be likely to prevent, seriously impair, or prejudice the achievement of our processing purposes. We justify and document our reasons for relying on an exemption. When an exemption does not apply (or no longer applies) to our processing of personal data, we comply with the GDPR’s requirements as normal.